09 Sep Couscous Salad with Herbs and Walnuts
Couscous Salad with Herbs and Walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1 fennel bulb chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 lemon finely grated zest and juice
- 200 grams giant wholewheat couscous
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 handful chives chopped (optional)
- 1 handful tarragon chopped (optional)
- 75 grams walnuts lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Summer Couscous Salad
Use a standard, fine-grained couscous instead of the big wholemeal variety and cook in vegetable stock of water, according to the packet instructions.
Meanwhile, blanch 100g each peas and broad beans in boiling water until just tender. Drain and refresh in iced water. If you have the patience, slip the broad beans from their outer skins. You could also include about 100g small zucchinis, cut into 1cm dice and fried in a little olive oil for a few minutes until lightly coloured.
For the dressing, whisk the finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, 4 tablespoons olive oil, a finely chopped garlic clove and some salt and pepper together. Trickle the dressing over the warm couscous and fork through until fluffy.
Cool, then toss with the vegetables and 200g or so of halved cherry tomatoes, if you like. Add a finely chopped handful each of parsley, basil, mint and coriander. Taste and add more lemon juice and/or salt and pepper if required, then serve.